Managing Director of Finance and Operations
Location: Chicago, IL
BPI, a highly regarded and impactful public interest law and policy center, seeks a mission-driven Managing Director of Finance and Operations to lead the organizational and financial operations at BPI.
BPI is a public interest law and policy center that has been at the front lines of the fight for social justice in the Chicago region for over 50 years. Known for its innovative and effective advocacy for racial and economic equity, today BPI is deeply engaged in advancing systemic change in policing, the criminal legal system, and housing.
With collaboration as a core value, BPI partners with people directly impacted by racial and economic injustice and the community-based organizations that serve them. The organization’s tenacious lawyers and policy staff employ a combination of legal tools, policy research, organizing, advocacy, and convening to achieve transformational change. BPI works to develop nuanced policies and programs, advance effective strategies, catalyze strong coalitions, and advance progress toward its overarching vision of a state where every person has the right and opportunity to live their fullest life in a thriving community and free of systemic barriers. A collaborative and stimulating workplace, BPI is committed to offering opportunities to learn, grow, and contribute meaningfully to work that advances racial, economic, and social justice.
BPI seeks a mission-driven individual with substantial experience to join our team as Managing Director of Finance and Operations. As a key senior leader at BPI, the Managing Director of Finance and Operations is responsible for reporting and financial management, information technology services, and works with the Administrative Manager to oversee operations and human resource matters. The Managing Director Finance and Operations Officer refines and enhances systems to maximize efficiency and effectiveness throughout the organization and inspires and drives the development and creation of new protocols, processes and procedures as needed.
The responsibilities of the Managing Director of Finance and Operations include reporting and financial management; information technology; and, in partnership with the Administrative Manager, operations and human resource matters;
- Oversee all of BPI’s financial operations and day-to-day financial reporting functions, including accounting, budgeting, internal control systems, and auditing, tax, and financial grants management;
- Manage cashflow to ensure adequate funds to cover A/P and payroll. Perform budget and financial planning functions. Ensure timely and accurate financial and regulatory reporting.
- Responsible for oversight of all BPI accounting functions. Manage third-party bookkeeping firm’s performance of routine accounting procedures including general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, bank and investment account reconciliations, cash management, payroll processing, and reporting utilizing Quickbooks;
- Partner with development staff to provide financial information necessary for grant writing and monitoring;
- Manage the external annual audit process. Oversee the preparation and issuance of BPI’s federal 990 return and other state return requirements;
- Oversee third-party Outsourced Chief Investment Officer services to ensure that assets of BPI are managed in compliance with all standards and policies for board-designated, donor-restricted, and reserve funds management;
- Ensure information technology is adequate and operating effectively and efficiently to meet BPI’s needs;
- Supervise data and technology as well as project management and systems improvements;
- Manage relationships with third-party Information Technology service providers;
- Oversee Information Technology projects, including procuring equipment and applications as needed;
- Work in partnership with Administrative Manager to ensure BPI’s operations are mission-aligned and vision focused;
- Ensure that all aspects of BPI’s operations support equity and inclusion principles;
- Serve as a strategic and trusted thought partner to deliberate ideas in an agile environment;
- Develop relationships across the nonprofit sector to share and learn best practices;
In partnership with the Administrative Manager:
- Manage the human resources functions of BPI, including maintaining a fair and positive work environment for all employees and setting the tone for a collaborative workplace environment that promotes a culture of respect;
- Prepare and maintain personnel files; oversee performance management, employee training and development; ensure compliance with law and regulations;
- Develop, review, and maintain personnel policies as needed; and
- Participate directly in all benefits plan administration including rate negotiation and term lengths.