CHA Plan for Transformation
The Gautreaux Assisted Housing Program
- “Does changing neighborhoods change lives?” in Social Stratification, J. Rosenbaum and S. DeLuca. ed. D. Grusky, 393-99, Philadelphia: Westview, 2009.
- If Low Income Blacks Are Given a Chance to Live in White Neighborhoods, Will They Stay? Examining Mobility Patterns with Quasi-Experimental Data, Stefanie DeLuca and James E. Rosenbaum, July 8, 2002.
- Crossing the Class and Color Lines: From Public Housing to White Suburbia, Leonard S. Rubinowitz and James E. Rosenbaum, Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 2000.
- “Changing the Geography of Opportunity by Expanding Residential Choice: Lessons from the Gautreaux Program” James E. Rosenbaum, Housing Policy Debate 6, Issue 1, 1995.
- “Housing Mobility: Promise or Illusion?” Report from the First National Conference on Housing Mobility, by Alexander Polikoff, 1995.
- “An Underground Railroad from Projects to Suburbs,” by Jason DeParle, The New York Times, December 1993.
- “The Gautreaux Program: An Experiment in Racial and Economic Integration,” James E. Rosenbaum and Susan J. Popkin, BPI Newsletter, April 1990.
- “Housing Voucher Mobility: An Overlooked Fair Housing Issue,” Alexander Polikoff, The John Marshall Law School Law Review, Volume 46, Issue 4.
- “Housing Mobility and Surgery,” Alexander Polikoff, May 2012.
- Waiting for Gautreaux: A Story of Segregation, Housing, and the Black Ghetto, Alexander Polikoff, Chicago: Northwestern University Press, 2006.
- “On Housing Mobility: Myths, Reality and More,” BPI Newsletter, Summer 2002.
- “What Should Be Done For Those Who Have Been Left Behind?” Owen Fiss, Boston Review 25, no. 3, Summer 2000.
National Housing Mobility Conferences
Gautreaux Litigation and General
- The Lessons of Gautreaux, Speech by Alexander Polikoff to the Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law, American Bar Association, Washington, D.C., May 26, 2011.
- Summer 2006, Vol. 1. Issue 1 [Northwestern Journal of Law and Social Policy (JLSP)] In March 2006, a conference, “Gautreaux at 40: Race, Class, Housing Mobility, and Neighborhood Revitalization,” was held at Northwestern University School of Law. Papers submitted at the conference constituted the first issue of an online inter-disciplinary journal.
- “The Houses that Gautreaux Built,” Debra Shore, University of Chicago Magazine, February 1995.
- “Housing Policy and Urban Poverty,” Alexander Polikoff, published in New Beginnings Project: A First Report, Washington: the Center for Housing Policy, 1994.
- “Chicago’s Not About to Give Up On a Bad Idea: The Future of Public Housing High-rises,” Alexander Polikoff, published in Affordable Housing and Public Policy: Strategies for Metropolitan Chicago, ed. Lawrence B. Joseph ed, Chicago: The University Of Chicago Center for Urban Research and Policy Studies, 1993.
- “What is Gautreaux?” May 1991.
- “Gautreaux and Institutional Litigation,” Alexander Polikoff, Chicago-Kent Law Review, Vol. 64, No. 2, 1988.
Moving to Opportunity Demonstration
Important Gautreaux Court Rulings